Sunday, July 29, 2012

Theology-flavored word salad

When not overrun with pictures of engagement rings, weddings, and new babies, my newsfeed is now a feeding frenzy for politics. I actually don't mind these posts as much as other people seem to; I'd much rather read an opinion about a current event than what someone had for lunch today, what they're doing tonight (unless I'm invited), or how much they loooooooove their boyfriend/girlfriend. Because current events are important.

I've held back posting my opinion about Chick-Fil-A supporting anti-gay organizations for two reasons: One, most of what I'd like to say has already been said...500 times. Two, I'm still figuring out where I stand as far the line between business and politics is concerned. On the one hand, part of me doesn't care what an employer believes, so long as he makes quality products. Then again, I'm not a fan of having my hard-earned dollars go toward a cause I don't believe in, like everyone else. As for Chick-Fil-A specifically, I've only eaten there once, and was not impressed. I'm trying to cut down on fast-food chicken.

What's been bothering me about the back-and-forth debates is not the stances people have, but the way they argue them. Naturally, people stand against gay marriage for religious reasons; people also favor gay marriage for religious reasons, too. I can't count the number of times I've seen a statement like this pop up over the last several days: "We need to stop judging people for who they love! Jesus preached tolerance and acceptance, not condemnation!" Cue 50+ "likes" and a handful of "Yeah, tell those conservative bigots where to go."

Winning an argument is never more important than trying to understand someone, but I'm having a hard time keeping my mouth shut when people put words in Jesus' mouth that he never actually said. What Bible are people reading where the words "tolerance" and "open-mindedness" are preached? The Jesus I've read about in the gospels had more, much more to say about conviction of sin and repentance than the fuzzy "love your neighbor" mantras people like to slap on bumper stickers and coffee mugs.

But what does it mean to "love" a neighbor? Or to "judge" them? It saddens me that people equate judgment with condemnation; we all make judgments, every day. There's "good judgment," like looking both ways before crossing the street, and "bad judgment," like choosing to drink and drive. Judgment helps us make choices; condemnation is deliberately putting someone down.

Love, on the other hand, is not allowing people to continue in their sin. Love is gently rebuking someone if they are struggling, and guiding them back to where they should be. This may not make sense to those in a secular world where morality is considered relative, but in Church World, we are ALL accountable to each other. The church misses the mark by not having the courage to get involved in the lives of its members. If that's too invasive for you, see Hebrews 10:24-25, or Proverbs 27:17.

I never understood why "tolerance" is such a virtue anyway. I tolerate it when someone is driving in front of me ten miles below the speed limit, or when the air conditioner breaks on a 90 degree day. I tolerate because I HAVE to. Why would we encourage that in our treatment of other human beings? When I think of "acceptance," I think of learning to deal with something, without complaining. Again, not a very loving or compassionate response. Doesn't sound at all like something Jesus would favor.

2 comments:

  1. Great blog you have got here.. It's difficult to find quality writing like yours nowadays. I honestly appreciate individuals like you! Take care!!

    Check out my web page - cardsharing server reviews

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heavy rain this evening, a summer rain, very elemental. Can any thing return to its natural state even if they sprawl suburbs and stripmalls in every place in the country or city? Everything is recognizable on the road. The way I saw it, Mother Nature probably wants to wipe us out, and not politely. So where is the laughing "tolerance" when, as a banner on a church reads: "Love is greater than Hate" in a city where ran the underground railroad? with some cute typography and a... student counseling center closed like a movie location for a direct to home video horror? Verrrry weird people at large would want to BE Mother Nature, but can't. Not too heavily, there is a natural law here at work, and God's law at work there. Any distinction? Chick-fil-a was a whopper of a media event. Protesting a chicken sandwich? This is a serious article, well done. Signed, Michael S.

    ReplyDelete