Monday, April 9, 2012

The curious way things fall into place

So it's about four more months until I make my glorious return to Colorado, my new happy place (I mean, if I can't afford grad school in Europe, Colorado is a pretty good alternative). I know I was biased toward Denver Seminary all along, after the summer I spent in Estes Park...But, I did the responsible thing and looked at other schools. In the end, it came down to a decision between Boston University and Denver Seminary...only BU never actually accepted me. I had thought I would have had a response by now, seeing how I applied six months ago...and it didn't even occur to me to consider that an answer to the "Where am I meant to go?" prayer I've been hounding God with until a good friend brought it up.

Still, I waited...and then this article popped up on my Facebook newsfeed, and my mind was made up. No more waiting around for a response from BU. If I'm going to be in debt, I'm going to be in debt for going to a school I've had my heart set on all along. Now I realize that the covering up of sexual assaults on college campuses is nothing new (Penn State, anyone?), but in light of my prayers lately, how am I supposed to interpret this as anything less than a sign that Denver is my school? Actually, it's not really a sign. More like a flashing billboard.

So it's settled then. I'm going to Denver!! Yeah yeah!

In other news, I think I've sold about 2 dozen-ish books now...a number of people have asked me about e-reader versions, and while anyone who knows me knows how I feel about the Kindle, Nook, etc, I may have to reconsider if it means that more people will read it...and ultimately, that is the point of being published, right?

I am actually experimenting with a fiction novel right now. When I first dreamed of becoming a writer I always assumed I'd write fiction, but I've found that any plot I come up with has been done before, and done well. What I'm working on now is less plot-driven and more focused on differing perspectives on a social issue I'm passionate about...which happens to involve two made-up characters. I'm about 20 pages in, and my new rule is that if I can make it to 50 pages without getting bored, I'll stick with it. So we'll see how that pans out. :)

2 comments:

  1. Hooray for the U.S.A., you've just owned Denver. Wise choice with the fifty page distance running in fiction writing, so to speak. If my soon to be published work is published by a publisher it may run to eighty to ninety printed pages. It is going to a publisher back and forth and forth and back. I'm leaving the country very soon, or graduate school, it may take four years. Signed, Michael Skoch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Addendum, prior letter addressed to
    Sarahbeth Caplin
    Signed,
    U.F.O.

    ReplyDelete