Monday, May 30, 2011

The scariest thing in the world

Sophomore year of high school, I wrote a short story based on a dream I had. It was about a girl who was a total bitch to everyone, didn't have any vision or purpose for her life other than putting others down. So when she died in a car accident, some people were actually happy. Hardly anyone attended her funeral, but those who did struggled with finding nice things to say. After all, no one dares to speak badly of dead people.

Depressing, right? Well, I wrote it to convince people to start caring more about their impact on the world, especially myself...because the scariest thing in the world to me is living a life that doesn't amount to anything. Do you ever wonder what people will say at your funeral? I don't enjoy thinking about death -- no one really does -- but every once in a while, it's important to have an honest reflection of yourself and wonder what people might say in terms of how you affected them.

Maybe you don't care about making an impact that can expand long after you're dead, but I do. Whether we're destined for heaven or end up becoming nothing more than worm food, no one has an excuse to slip by in this life unnoticed. I think deep down you know that you were meant to do something more than eat, sleep, mate, reproduce, and die. That's a perfect summary of the life of a squirrel, but it shouldn't be for you.

That was the second convicting seminar of LT so far. It's fun stuff. And it snowed again today, but I'm a crazy Ohioan who actually prefers snow over heat. I like wrapping myself in soft snuggly things. Like fleece. And kitties. I have a day off of work tomorrow and I think I might try something crazily out of my comfort zone like hiking. We'll see how that goes...

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like Chazown is messing with you already! Win.
    PS- GO HIKE. Even if it's something small and easy. It's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. so jealous it is 93 here. Give me the snow i'd rather be curled up in a warm bed with hot cocoa than this heat!

    ReplyDelete