Friday, April 8, 2011

The end justifies the pain it takes to get us there

I think one of my biggest fears about life is wasting it on being sad. A lot of things hurt me more than they should. As much as I believe that cliche "What doesn't kill you makes you stronger," sometimes I'm convinced that holding everything in will take more years off my life instead of making my skin thicker. Sometimes I feel like I have the Midas touch, only everything I touch doesn't turn to gold, it turns to shit.

But then I think...how can you live without ever getting hurt? Can you believe anyone who claims they've never had a broken heart, never been disappointed to the point of holding in tears, never been so broken about something that they didn't feel like getting out of bed? Who can live like that?

Here is what I often wonder...would it be better to live a good, pain-free, quiet life that doesn't make waves, and just slip away at the end of your life without ever making history? Or would it be better to live a life that has some pain, unquenchable yearning for things you can't have, and occassional bitterness, and use all that to serve others and ultimately make the world a little better than it was when you got here? Because I have to say, it's easier to find a friend in the person who has been where I am right now, as opposed to someone who always does the right thing, and has never wept a day in her life (or so she wants the world to think).

Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen, since what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.
~ 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

No comments:

Post a Comment