Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Winners, losers, and the faith of Tim Tebow

Yes, I am jumping into the media frenzy about Tim Tebow. I didn't want to, I really didn't...but just like the Very Kardashian Divorce train wreck, there are people saying things about him that are accurate...and some things that are based in misconceptions about Christianity which, once again, give non-believers a flawed picture of who God is...and who he is not.

It may surprise some people to hear that I'm not an avid Tebow fan. But from what I hear of him, he seems very...genuine. He's one of the few outspoken Christians in the media today who seems to walk his talk, and has yet to be caught with a sex tape or some kind of ponzi scheme. For that, I can respect him. He's under so much pressure and so much scrutiny, yet he's barely a year older than I am and seems to be handling it well. For that, I can respect him.

But, when it comes down to it, Tim Tebow is a football player...and I really don't have much interest in football. There doesn't seem to be anything truly remarkable about his skills as a quarterback, from what I hear, which is why I'm sure so many people can't stand him -- because his personal convictions are more popular than his game. I can appreciate the frustration that comes with shining a spotlight on a decent, but not legendary player for his outspoken religious beliefs as opposed to giving that attention to one with more winning experience, but less faith.

My issue is when people say that Tebow has no business thanking God for his winning streak, because certainly God has better things to do than pay attention to a mindless football game. I know football isn't mentioned in the Bible, but how can people say that for sure? If God is a personal God (and I think he is) then wouldn't he care about the things that we care about? Wouldn't he be the one to whom players credit their athletic abilities, if God gives everyone unique talents and gifts?

The other issue to consider is whether God picks favorites...that somehow, the Denver Broncos are held in higher favor as opposed to any other team. Some people on my Facebook friends list have asked the question of what will happen to Tebow's faith now that the winning streak has ended. I am very impressed by his response:

"Sometimes I pray before games, during games, after games ... regardless whether I win or lose … whether [I'm] the hero or the goat, it doesn't matter, I still honor the Lord and give Him glory because He's deserving of it. Just like my faith shouldn't change, neither should that … You can still honor the Lord with how you handle things." (http://newsfeed.time.com/2012/01/15/patriots-stop-tim-tebow-why-he-will-be-missed/)

Not what most people would expect, is it? It shows a stark contrast between those who put their trust in God's sovereignty, knowing that his plans are not always our plans, and have the maturity to understand the difference...and those who treat God like a cosmic vending machine, a creator who waits on the beck and call of his created. It's not being self-righteous to say that God was with Tebow as he lead the Broncos to victory, but it's biblically inaccurate to suggest that God's favor is dependent on what we can do for him with our own flawed abilities, as opposed to what God already did for us.

We're a society who loves winners. Our loyalties sway with whoever is at the top of their game at a given time. If that team falters, we're quick to switch sides (Cleveland Browns/Cavs, anyone?). Does anyone ever take time to consider that some of our greatest "wins" come out of our most devastating losses?

And no, I'm not just referring to sports.

2 comments:

  1. the browns actually despite being losers have a pretty loyal fan base even though we suck for about the first 9 ro 10 years of coming back the browns sold out every game. It is a lot easier to get tickets now but we've never been blacked out which happens to other teams. Losing isn't what is important when it comes to supporting your team. It is frustrating but it isn't everything. I think a better analogy would be to the cavs. Once lebron left their general appeal to people outside of cleveland waned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, clearly my ignorance about sports is showing. I just changed it to include the Cavs. Thanks for educating me :)

      Delete