Thursday, October 3, 2013

"Public Displays of Convention" chapter 5


Missed chapter 4? And 3, 2, and 1? Catch up here
     “Fake it till you make it” has become my current motto. If I surround myself with bigger priorities, like seeking a job or possibly an internship, the less likely I’ll be to commiserate my lonely single life further. It seems an unlikely possibility at the moment, but reality will hit me at the end of these remaining weeks of my final semester of college if I don’t start looking for opportunities now.
     Unfortunately, there’s not much out there for an English Literature major with no desire to teach, but I apply for everything I can find. The hardest part is waiting.
     It’s a pleasant surprise when, only a few days after submitting an application, I receive a phone call from a woman named Julia who wants to interview me for a staff position at Book Nook. At present, there is no way I can refuse.
     Julia, my potential new boss, appears to be in her early thirties. In typical bookkeeping fashion, she is wearing a grey pencil skirt and black cardigan that somehow doesn’t make her curvy frame look too dowdy. Her thick blonde hair is knotted behind her head and held together with a pencil.
     She’d be completely out of place if this were a trendy Barnes & Noble, but Book Nook is a historic building converted into a shop with floors that creak and shelves that bear the markings of all the business owners who used them since the late eighteen-hundreds. Being the literary nerd that I am, I can see myself here easily.
     “Your application is impressive,” Julia tells me. “You are graduating in May?”
     “Correct.”
     “With a degree in English Literature and a minor in Creative Writing?”
     “Yes.”
     “Well that’s it, then. I’d love for you to start as soon as possible. This store desperately needs employees who believe in what they’re selling. It’s hard, you know, trying to interest people in print media when everything is electronic now…” she shakes her head distastefully.
     We shake hands, and I walk out completely bewildered by what just happened, and so quickly. This is the first glimmer of hope I’ve had since Jared left. It’s small, but it’s something. Now all that’s left to do is graduate. The sooner I do that, the sooner I can formulate a plan to get the hell out of here.
     No sooner than I found myself employed did Tess discover news of her own. “I’m volunteering with my church at an orphanage in India!” she glowed when we met for coffee later this afternoon.
     For Tess, whose faith has always seemed superior to my own, this is a perfect opportunity for her. “That’s great,” I tell her, sipping my latte. “For how long?”
     That’s when her face starts to lose its gleeful shine. “It’s all summer,” she says, staring into her cup. “I feel bad, after what you’ve been through. I should stay –”
     “Don’t you dare.” I feel bad too, realizing I don’t whole-heartedly mean what I just said. Tess should go to India, but deep down I know I’m selfish enough to want her to stay and help me move on from Jared. These situations are what best friends are for; but what kind of friend would I be if I kept her from pursuing her dream? “Those orphans need you way more than I do. Seriously, I’ll be fine. Now that I have a job, I’ll be too busy to think about my broken heart.”
     Her smile is definitely full of relief. “Thanks, AK. I’ll send you letters, I promise. And I know you’ll be okay.”
     I know you’ll be okay. I repeat those words over and over, hoping the repetition will stick and become true. I’m sure it will as more time passes. Until then, ordinary tasks like making my bed and washing my hair feel mundane and purpose-less when I remember that Jared doesn’t love me anymore. It’s a defeatist way of thinking, but it permeates my every thought and move.
     Collin is standing outside my door when I return from coffee with Tess. I want to believe he was just about to knock when I showed up, and hadn’t parked himself there, after not receiving an answer, deciding to wait for me to come back. No, he’s not creepy like that. I hope.
     Whatever the circumstance, seeing him nearly scared the crap out of me. “Don’t freak out now, AK-47,” he chirps. “I just wanted to stop by and say hello.”
     “Stop by and say hello”? For some reason I have a hard time believing this, but decide to play along anyway. “It’s not fair,” I say, attempting to sound coy. “You have such a convenient nickname for me, but I don’t have one for you.”
     This isn’t doing much to stop our apparent flirting game, but I’ve wanted to mention it for a long time. He’s nicknamed me so I can never live down the way we met. If nothing else, I need a clever name for him just to put him in his place.
     “Oh, something might come to you eventually.” It’s ludicrous, and extremely frustrating, how tingly that cocky smile of his makes me feel. Even if it’s probably used to flatter countless girls everywhere he goes.
     Part of me wants to stick around and continue this banter further, but he has an annoying habit of finding me when it’s getting late, my defenses are down, and I need to get some sleep. I have to say “Goodnight” about five times before he gets the message and leaves – though I almost didn’t want him to, for no other reason except that he’s an attractive guy who has taken notice of me. Pathetic.
     If he keeps this up long enough, who knows: my defenses might end up collapsing completely. If I were smarter and bolder, I’d tell him upfront that I’m in the agonizing process of recovering from a broken heart, and these impromptu flirting sessions are nothing but a distraction (I know I’d be lying if I said unwanted distraction). But doing so feels risky, because it will make me look weak and vulnerable: a perfect target for a rebound fling.
     As it is, Collin’s parting hugs are torturous and might be the death of me one day. He always initiates them, and I don’t immediately pull away – ugh, how long has it been since I’ve been held like this? Then his hand starts rubbing my back, slowly and gently, and his other hand is on my neck, so lightly it sends a shiver down my spine. He seems to sense that, and only draws me closer, tighter, and starts to trace my jawline before tucking a stray curl behind my ear…all the while, in the silent oblivion of my troubled mind, I scream do NOT look up at him, do NOT look up, because I’m positive he will kiss me if I do. Luckily, the common sense side of me is running efficiently enough to tell me that should never, ever happen.
     Tempted beyond reason, I manage to pull away and say “Goodnight Collin” a sixth time, and the last. Closing the door on his slightly disappointed face stirs a strange sensation of pride; I’m relieved to know I’m not a girl who is desperate enough to cling like a leech on flesh to the first person who makes me feel attractive and worthy once again.

No comments:

Post a Comment