Saturday, August 6, 2011

Making relationships count: the honesty challenge

Recently I overheard a conversation between two international employees who were very confused about American ways of greeting. They didn't understand how a person can ask "How are you?" but keep on walking, without even waiting for a response. They didn't understand that "How are you?" has turned into more of a greeting than a genuine question of concern for your well-being.

I've been feeling convicted of how often I do this, and I'm trying to be more conscious of how often I ask it without actually stopping to listen or care. You have to wonder what social interaction among aquaintences would look like if everyone was suddenly honest about that question.

LT has probably messed with my head regarding the "Don't share your junk with strangers" rule of society. Outside this little bubble of Estes Park, most people will respond with something like "Oh, I'm good" even when they're not. It's just expected, and with good reason. If you're brutally honest about how you're doing with everyone you come in contact with, it's the quickest way to avoid making new friends. We don't want to freak people out. If you were to respond with "Ugh, I'm so pissed at my significant other for leaving the toilet seat up again, I just got laid off, my cat won't stop peeing on the carpet, and my PMS is out of control" to the unsuspecting cashier making small talk, you'd be alienated, without question. People would be afraid to talk to you if you're THAT honest.

But, here at LT, those old rules are tossed out the window. It doesn't matter that there are over 200 people in this program, and you'll never remember all of their names. They're still brothers and sisters in Christ, and by default, we are expected to be open and transparent with them (well, with some more than others, obviously, but being real about our lives is the main priority). As previously discussed in the entry about the Night of Confession, what good is the church if people can't be honest about what's really going on in their lives? What do we gain by bottling up? While everyone is entitled to have secrets, it's the relationships in which we cut through the emotional BS that end up mattering the most. Everyone else, we tend to forget.

I have been challenged this summer to question how I am making my relationships count.



Few people I've met this summer have impacted me as much as my "Jew Crew." I couldn't hide anything from them if I tried. Which is kind of annoying at times, but still pretty awesome. This is Closing Ceremonies night for LT, where each project group picked a theme and dressed up. Sharon is an owl, Justin is Shlomo, Rudolph's Jewish cousin on his mother's side (don't ask), and I'm a pirate. Can't help but wonder what the caterers at the reception hall must have thought of us Jesus freaks all dressed up like Halloween in the middle of the summer. Would have been fun to ask.

No comments:

Post a Comment