Saturday, July 23, 2011

What makes a leader?

With only 3 weeks left in Colorado, now I'm starting to freak out about whether I made the most of my time here. I'm pretty sure I did, since I made a quasi-official decision to apply to Denver Seminary when I never thought I'd want to end up this far west (though I need to do the "responsible" thing by checking out a few more schools before I make my official decision. Anything is possible). The chaplaincy program is four years long, which will give me more than enough time (hopefully) to discern if this is actually what I want to do. Or, better yet, what I'm actually called to do. Then again, I can make a ministry out of anything. Even bagging groceries can be a ministry of some sort, somehow.

Can't say I never had any suspicions before, but I have learned that one of my spiritual gifts is definitely NOT patience (though I am convicted of it). In many instances I've learned more about what I'm not or don't have than what I am, and do have. Sometimes I feel like I'm not cut out for spiritual leadership because the thought of being responsible for helping to shape other people's souls terrifies me. It terrifies me because I feel my own crap makes me unqualified.

But according to last Thursday's talk, the best way to be a successful leader is to not brag about your awesome leadership skills; instead, own up to your own weaknesses and shortcomings, because leaders have to be real people living in the real world, not on some towering pedestal, in order to be taken seriously and effectively lead people to Christ. And if I keep on waiting for my life to get cleaned up before I can effectively lead people, I'll never do anything productive. Maybe one crap issue will be resolved, but several years from now, another one might come up and then I'll be back where I started. But even if I can't speak with any kind of authority on some issues, I know something about others that could be, who knows, actually helpful to somebody.

I explained this to my friend Justin at lunch today, and he said "So if the thought of being a spiritual leader scares you, why are you considering chaplaincy?" My response: "Well I'm not a chaplain yet." :)

The staff Talent Show was last week. I got to dance for the first time in 5 years. I tried to load a video, but the internet is being stubborn so pics will have to do for now. Check out the video on Facebook instead (if you feel so inclined...).


The jacket came off when the music picked up ("Alive Again" by Matt Maher, one of my favorite worship songs). It was kinda epic.


Intense concentration!



For the record, pretzels are more valuable to me than flowers. :)

2 comments:

  1. thank you for this, Sarahbeth. With the time till school starts dwindling down, I'm starting to freak out about all the leadership responsibilities I'm taking on in the fall and over and over I've been convicted of the fact that I need to NOT PRETEND/TRY TO BE PERFECT! Because I'm really good at pretending/trying and (of course) not at all good at succeeding. Covering up does no one any favors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First of all, the second photograph from the bottom shows you have some speed/movement the Browns desperately need. Can you play wide receiver? :)

    In all seriousness, if you decide to pursue a seminary degree or field, be sure and be honest with yourself. It took me several years of discerning and a year of application before being accepted. Just be honest with yourself.

    Even if you try it, and it doesn't work out, completely trust in God, even if it seems counter-intuitive. He gave you your writing talent for a reason, just like he gave me my writing talent for a reason. You may intend to be a minister at a congregation somewhere, but God may have you wind up as a writer for a Christian magazine/media group promoting Jesus's message. Don't waste your talents--and I KNOW you have some.

    God bless!

    ReplyDelete