Friday, September 27, 2013

"Public Displays of Convention," chapter 4

Enjoy chapter 4 of "Public Displays of Convention"! Catch up on previous chapters here.


     Spring-cleaning has come early this year. It felt so liberating to take down all the pictures, delete all the emails, and erase Jared’s contact information from my phone. However, there are still the contents of my “memento box” to deal with. Much more personal than photographs and text messages, this is a box that contains artifacts from every person who has ever meant something special to me: birthday and Christmas cards from Tess, the collar that belonged to my first pet, even the ticket stub from the movie I saw with my first boyfriend back in ninth grade.
     The majority of the contents in this box actually aren’t from Jared, but there are enough birthday cards and pictures of him to keep me away for now. I don’t trust myself to throw those things away without reliving the way I felt when I first received them. Doing so would crush me all over again, even though he’s been nothing like the person who sent them for a long, long time.
     After another tiring day of class, I come back to the dorm with the intent of going to bed early. My plans are thwarted by an unexpected distraction: Collin is in the lounge, talking to a guy who lives down the hall. To say I’m shocked is quite an understatement. I wait in the stairwell for a few minutes, but it doesn’t seem like he’s leaving any time soon. There is no choice but to walk briskly past him, and pray I’m not recognized.
     Just when I think I sneaked by unnoticed, I hear him call out “Hey, AK-47! What are you doing here?”
     I grit my teeth and stiffly reply, “I live here.”
     “Oh yeah? Well I live here too, three floors up! I was just visiting my buddy Eric here.”
     The guy I presume to be Eric stands up, informing Collin he’s stepping outside for a smoke. How convenient. Once he leaves, it’s just the two of us alone in the lounge. I can’t explain how or why, but I think I’m starting to smell trouble.
     “Nice pin” Collin tells me, pointing to the mockingjay on my bag. “Big Hunger Games fan, huh? That’s cute.”
     I’m about to defend my strong devotion to the series, but decide against it at the last second. Now that we are out of the cold, he’s wearing a short-sleeved T-shirt. “Says the guy with Lion King characters tattooed on his arm,” I retort.
     “Well I’ll have you know that Lion King was the last movie I got to watch with my grandpa before he died. Mufasa reminds me of him.”
     Holy crap. “I…wow, I don’t know what to say. I’m so sorry –”
     Psyche! My grandpa is still alive. I just wanted to see your reaction.”
     “You’re an ass-hat.”
     “Aww, come on now. Can you at least admit I’m a cute ass-hat?”
     “Well,” I stumble. “I guess, since you said my pin was cute…”
     Wait wait wait – am I flirting with this guy? Someone I only met two days ago? And is he flirting with me? What am I doing?
     It’s quite shameless, open flirting. There is no way to deny otherwise. I am completely without excuse, other than having my heart blasted to smithereens by the man I loved for the last four years, rendering me temporarily senseless. I’m not the sort of girl who goes looking for rebounds, but I can’t stop myself from feeling oddly flattered by Collin’s unexpected attention. Dangerously, dangerously flattered.
     Having stood up and moved closer to me during this exchange, I realize Collin is close enough to kiss me. Something in his manner tells me if I were to look up at him the right way, it could happen. If I were truly calculating and shameless, I could play this so we end up not only making out, but going back to his room or mine, for God knows what.
     With a clearer mind now than when we first met, I notice he is attractive, in a nerdy sort of way. The giant Mufasa tattoo on his bicep is kind of a turn-off, simply because it’s too big for my taste; the thought of what that will look like in twenty years makes me cringe. This banter has been amusing, but something in my gut is telling me Collin is more of a charmer than a serious dater. I don’t need any charmers right now.
     Clearing my throat, I tell him “We should go to bed.” His eyes widen, and I instantly realize my idiot mistake. “Go to bed separately,” I clarify. “It’s almost ten o’clock.” Good grief, could I sound dumber if I tried?
     “Right, right,” he replies, laughing. Honestly, I don’t get the impression that he would have objected if I meant what I’d originally said.
     Reaching out with both hands, he holds my arms like he’s about to pull me toward him. My breath quickens, and I keep my gaze focused on the floor so there’s no temptation to kiss him. Before I can say anything else, he folds me into a quick hug that almost turns me to Jello. He breaks away just as quickly with an abrupt “Goodnight!” and disappears down the hall, toward the elevator. I do the same, to my end of the hall, not allowing myself to think too deeply on what just happened, or could have happened.

No comments:

Post a Comment