Thursday, December 6, 2012

"So you go to cemetery...I mean seminary!"

There's a reason why the word "seminary" is often confused with "cemetery." Some people say this as an accidental slip-up, while others are intentionally "punny." As one professor said, "Seminary life can have two effects: you end up contained in a Christian bubble and completely unprepared for the real world, or you can be challenged to a point where you severely doubt your faith." As my first semester of grad school comes to a close, I think that I'm somewhere in the middle of these two extremes.

I have learned something about myself: I am often guilty of camouflaging my beliefs depending on my environment. I'm tempted to "water down" my faith when I'm with my non-Christian friends in Kent, while simultaneously trying to "pump it up" when I'm surrounded by Christians at Denver Seminary.

This may be shocking to some, but I've discovered that I fall under the category of "liberal" in Christian Bubble Land. Realizing this has made me love and hate my non-Christian upbringing. On the one hand, I am grateful to have been raised in an environment where I was encouraged to think for myself. Consequently, I have a better understanding of the objections non-Christians have with Christianity, and that greatly influences the way I go about sharing it. But on the other hand, sometimes I wonder if I'd fit in better if I did grow up in Church World. I get irritated when some Christians constantly harp about "the lost," because I know from experience that God uses people of varying beliefs without them ever knowing it. I have issues with evangelicals who center their ministry on agenda over genuine relationships and a desire to learn from others. I think we miss out on opportunities to love if all we care about are conversion rates.

I've listened to students and professors who grew up in the Bible Belt, and for lack of a better way to say it, sometimes they made me uncomfortable. I despise "Christian-ese" and the few times I've caught myself using it ("God spoke to my heart," "accepted Jesus into my heart"...lots of "heart" euphemisms in Church language!), I cringed with fear that I was becoming "like them." All my judgments of how I used to perceive Christians came back: stiff-necked, arrogant, allergic to anything secular. I want to be devout without being a stereotype. I don't want to lose whatever it is that makes me approachable to people of different backgrounds and viewpoints.

It's because I care about being approachable to non-Christians that I refuse to be a part of the Messianic Judaism program at Denver Seminary, or take part in Messianic Jewish events. That has been an on-going battle this semester; people hear snippets of my testimony and immediately jump on the "You should be in the Messianic Jewish concentration!" bandwagon. In my Training and Mentoring class, we'll have to interview three non-Christian chaplains about how their faith affects their work. There are a few Jewish chaplains in the area who refuse to take part in that assignment. One of them said "Sorry, but I can't have a discussion with a student who attends a school with a concentration designed to target Jews for conversion."

I sympathize with that chaplain. There was a time when I wasn't sure what to call myself; clearly, now that I am a believer in Jesus, I can't define my faith as Jewish, but what about my heritage? Where does one draw that line? Eventually, I came to the realization that there isn't anything Jewish about my faith anymore, and to present it as such would be inaccurate and offensive. Make no mistake: the gospel in and of itself is offensive to many, but the way we present it should not be.

I think, with all due respect to those who call themselves Messianic Jews, that that title actually prevents discussion and promotes hostility. I've had many a frustrated discussion with Christians who feel the need to convince me to change the direction of my ministry, because I have "so much to offer" with my "unique" background. I'm not disputing this, but I'm also a little tired of the novelty status that comes with that "unique" background. As one new friend pointed out, there is no differentiation between Jew or Gentile, Greek or non-Greek in Christ. I don't require any special "title," especially when that title carries such stigma, and is also a misnomer. Technically all Jews are messianic; they just don't believe he's come yet. I could go on and on about this...but that topic deserves its own post.

That's only a smattering of things I've learned this semester. More thoughts and reflections to come, once my Hebrew final has been conquered...

3 comments:

  1. My only thought is about the statement that "there isn't anything Jewish about my faith anymore." I think I know what you're saying (but I could be wrong): that your faith no longer resembles the religion/faith you grew up with as a Jew. For instance, you mentioned to me today that Jews don't talk much about God in every day conversation--it's much more about social activism or Zionism than about God Himself. That is obviously a huge difference. The understanding of God shifts as well from a more nationalistic standpoint (God chose Israel to be in relationship with him) to personal (God chose you and me to be in relationship)*. I could name other things that change, and that's what I think you are referring to but please correct me if I've misunderstood.

    What I don't think should be forgotten is that Jesus was a Jew, not a Christian and that he went (primarily) to the Jewish people. While Christianity is not the same thing as Judaism (per se) it certainly grew out of that faith and Paul repeatedly hopes for the salvation of the Jewish nation in his letters to gentiles (!). While many Christian formulations/systems/theology have a definite Greek and Hellenistic influence, it still came from Judaism and more closely resembled Judaism in the early centuries than it resembled anything else. This can be seen in that Christianity was almost a religio licita (approved religion) because the Romans first thought it was a Jewish sect (which it was in some ways). It was only after Christians began meeting on Sunday (not the Sabbath) and started separating (or being pushed out of) the synogague that the ROmans realized how distinct it was.

    I just think that's important for many Christians to keep in mind as we have Jewish relationships and talk with Jews. They aren't a "target for conversion" because (as far as I'm concerned) they are still God's chosen people. He didn't replace them with the Church because God is faithful to his promises and he doesn't do that sort of thing. It's important for Christians to remember that because it would help us be a bit more humble and stop acting as though we have all the answers simply because we believe Jesus is the Messiah.

    ________________________
    * I do think that there is a certain amount of faulty theology in the obsession with individualism within American/Western Christianity but that's an entirely different post.

    And I promise I would have said this in person today if I'd read the post already. I would hate for you to think I'm making comments I'm too afraid to say in person!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarahbeth, Denver Seminary trains Christians and Non-Christians as chaplins? One size fits all?
    To Saraebibb, some believe in sola scriptura. Do you believe in a word-for-word, black letter New Testament, Madame? Hecho in Pakistan reads my tee shirt.
    Sincerely, Mike S.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sarahbeth, Denver Seminary trains Christians and non-Christians as chaplins? One Size fits all?
    To Saraebibb, some believe in sola scriptura. Do you believe in a word-for-word, black letter New Testament, Madame?
    Hecho in Pakistan reads my tee shirt.
    Sincerely, Mike S.

    ReplyDelete