Friday, December 16, 2011

Financial responsibility according to Jesus

Of course nothing in my life goes smoothly all at once. Shocking, right?

I am now a statistic, just one of the millions of college grads out there in need of a full-time job to pay the bills. Actually, the only bill I need money to pay for right now is my credit card bill. Everything else...well, such is the privilege of living at Hotel Mom and Dad. Some essentials, like food and rent, are gladly paid for. Go ahead and judge me if you want. At least I can have my cat for a few more months before I come up with some way to get the heck out of this town.

I miss having regular hours. I miss having cash in my pocket. As I am lamenting my sad, sad situation, I get a letter in the mail. It's from a girl in my Bible Study group, asking for financial support for a mission trip to Amsterdam next spring. A trip I really really really wanted to go on, but alas, it costs money I do not have.

So I'm a little jealous of her right now...pathetically so, since I have been to Europe more times than most people I know. But still. I am jealous. And, at first, a tad resentful. When it was my turn to raise support for a church trip, my first thought toward the whole process was, How can I, a broke college grad, ask other broke college grads to give me money?? I didn't want to do it, but I sent a few support letters for my summer in Colorado. I didn't get many responses. But, as God would have it, my Jewish grandparents ended up funding the rest of the support money I needed to go. My Jewish grandparents. For a Christian leadership program! Clearly, my God knows how to take care of people in ways they least expect.

Meanwhile, I vented to Josh the other day "This whole year is turning out to be a total waste! What's the point of taking a year off from school if I'm just sitting on my butt drinking coffee at Scribbles all day not making any money?!"

He just stared at me. "So, uh...you mean the whole year was a waste? Really?"

I realize what I've just said, and immediately backtrack. "I mean, financially speaking. Obviously this year isn't a complete waste, since I met you and all..." Luckily I didn't have to explain myself too much, since he knew what I really meant ;) But still, I am more than a little upset at how this year is not what I thought it would be. Then again, as Josh rightly pointed out, it has also turned out to be a year of unexpected gifts...so I guess I can't complain too much :)

With that in mind, I decided to rethink the whole support-raising situation for my friend. I know how stressful it is to try and tactfully ask people for money. No matter how much you stress that it's for a good cause, the bottom line is, you are still asking people for money. It's not an easy thing to do. But I know the importance of this trip. I know there will be some sight-seeing involved, but I know that the greater purpose of it is to bring a much-needed message to a spiritually impoverished nation in need of hope.

I have exactly twenty dollars in my wallet right now. All I really plan to spend it on is coffee. If I give my friend my last twenty dollars, I pray that God will use that act of giving not just to help her be able to go to Amsterdam, but to teach me a lesson on faithfulness as well. I'm not expecting to give my friend money and have God reward me by dropping a check with the amount for a whole semester of grad school tuition right out of the sky. I know He doesn't work that way. But what I do expect is that He will use my donation to show me that there are plenty of people more in need than I am, and if I can use what He's given me to help them, then surely He will use whatever resources he sees fit to take care of my needs as well.

It seems like such an archaic thing to do...to trust an invisible being with my financial needs. But, as one friend of mine pointed out earlier today, how can I trust God with my eternal salvation, but not with smaller things like money? I guess, when put that way, my fears don't make much sense.

And with that, I enclose my last twenty dollars to my beautiful, passionate, wonderful sister in Christ, Anna Michelle. I pray your trip is life-changing and full of surprises :)

1 comment:

  1. I like the "payoff" at the end of the story. You set it up really well.

    Honestly, to make a few quick $$$ you can write for the Catholic Universe Bulletin. You could cover Hudson. You do NOT have to be Catholic to write for the paper I think--Brandon Baker of the news-herald freelances with them.

    I hope you are doing well and I will pray for you!

    ReplyDelete